This is a 15-20 minute express dish and a fabulous meat- free alternative, if you can convince your family to eat chickpeas ( I can’t). I make a batch and eat it over 3 days; it’s much healthier and quicker than making a sandwich for lunch.
The trick is to get the sweet and sour balance to your liking so add or reduce honey and lime juice accordingly.
You can serve this on quinoa or couscous but it’s quite substantial on its own.
Sweet & sour chickpeas
- 1 tin of organic chick peas, drained & rinsed or soak 200g chickpeas overnight and boil for about 40 minutes in clean water until soft
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh crushed ginger
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon dried or fresh chillies
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon NoMu vegetable fond/Ina Paarman vegetable or chicken* stock
- 1 tin organic chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- To serve: grated lemon zest, fresh coriander and mint, chopped
- Fry the onion for a few minutes until soft. Add the ginger and spices
- Add tomatoes, seasoning and the chickpeas and simmer for about 10 minutes
- Add the honey and lime juice and serve with lemon zest and chopped herbs
*COOK’s Notes: Ina Paarman chicken stock is vegetarian