I am all for convenience, but when it comes to soup, you’ll never catch me with a ready made one. Not only are the flavours diluted, the real thing is so quick and easy to make it makes no sense to buy a bag.
A simple basic soup literally needs vegetables, water and NoMu fond. Convenience makes an entrance at the ready cut vegetable bags from Woolworth’s, in this recipe both white and orange sweet potato. The two colours combined to a silky colour reminding me of the butterscotch pudding-in-a-box my mom used to make us in the seventies. The soup was intended to be bland as I was feeding a family member on a soft, non-spicy diet but everyone ended up having a bowl, loving the creamy sweetness the coconut cream added.
If you are looking to add vegetables to your breakfast diet, this soup offers a nourishing low GI option as well a hug of warm creaminess in place of porridge.
SILKY SWEET POTATO SOUP
- 500g white sweet potato cubes
- 500g orange sweet potato cubes
- 1 tin of Blue Elephant or Woolworth’s coconut cream
- 2 tablespoons NoMu chicken or vegetable fond
- Place the vegetables in a pot, cover with water and boil until very soft
- Place the vegetables, water, stock and cream in a processor and blend until smooth and silky