This little bite of heaven is inspired by NIKOS and 2018 culinary trends, showcasing both ethnic and healthy ethnic kid-friendly cuisine. I loved the sweet simplicity of this dish, found on our new NIKOS menu and showcased this while adding fragrances of orange, Verjuice and rosemary, finishing off with a dollop of Greek yoghurt (scattered with perfumed orange rind) to break through the salt and sugar.
Using Verjuice-the queen of vinegars-I naturally had to add the best of retail feta and Woolworth’s barrel aged sheep and goat’s feta is perfect for this dish. A grating of orange rind into the yoghurt enhances the citrus addition and any leftover is delicious for breakfast, served alongside fruit or granola.
I could not imagine it served on anything but the same enamel plates served at NIKOS, and these were found at CRS https://www.facebook.com/CompleteRestaurantSolutions/.
Follow the Randpark Ridge NIKOS page for details as it opens tomorrow (Saturday 5th may).https://www.facebook.com/nikosrandparkridge/?hc_ref=ARSDnW9REAMe8Bgqr6gpAuie2v21MZjVqT3JLEmHs63qghU1kpjtPl-YInwCL4NEVGE&fref=nf
GREEK SHEEP AND GOAT’S FETA BAKED IN PHYLLO (8)
1 roll (1/2 box) of frozen phyllo ( a full box yields 24 cigars)
2 blocks Woolworth’s barrel aged sheep and goats feta , sliced into 3 or 4 fingers (the cheese varies in size)
Melted butter (about ½ cup)
Black sesame seeds or nigella seeds to sprinkle
1. Open the phyllo and use a damp dish towel to keep the sheets moist while you work with just one sheet at a time. If the pieces are torn, just work around it, patch it up with butter and fold
2. Layer 2 small squares of phyllo with melted butter
3. Roll the cheese up like a spring roll (roll once, tuck the sides in, then role to close) brushing with melted butter, then scatter with the seeds
4. At this stage, the little cheese cigars can be placed in a Tupperware container in the fridge, until ready to bake
5. Bake at 180 ˚C for about 25-30 minutes or until golden brown
6. Serve immediately drizzled with sauce and add a dollop of yoghurt on the side
- Combine 500g tub of full fat Greek yoghurt with the zest of 2 oranges
ORANGE, ROSEMARY, HONEY & VERJUICE
½ cup raw honey
¼ cup verjuice
Juice of one orange
1 rosemary stick-leaves removed
Optional-12 halved black or green seedless grapes
- Place the ingredients in a saucepan and allow to boil and reduce slightly. Adjust the taste to your preference -more orange juice for sweetness or more vinegar for tartness.
Cook’s notes: Instead of cigars, make little pies. Brush an eight-hole muffin pan with melted butter. Mash soft goats cheese (you can also add pistachios and orange zest). Cut small squares from the phyllo, overlap 1 square over the other at an angle and press into the muffin pan, brushing with butter. Fill the holes with cheese and then crinkle some remaining phyllo over the top and then fold the bottom layer of pastry over, sealing the pies. Brush with melted butter and bake