The glorious thing about this lamb is that it’s perfect for SA Easter weather. Although it’s rich and meaty, the wraps, fresh peppery rocket and silky Sumac and Tahini Mayo are a perfect “sunny skies” accompaniment.
Serve this lamb pulled or whole with 2 spoons and allow your guests to flake the fall-apart lamb themselves. It’s a simple meal on its own but can be served with salads.
LEG OF LAMB, WRAPS, SUMAC & TAHINI MAYO (8)
For the Lamb
- 1 large leg of lamb (2.5-3kg), bone in, rump bone out, knuckle cracked (so that it folds and fits into your dish). Delft will do this for you, phone them on 794 7295.
- 3 tablespoons NoMU Moroccan rub (or use any lamb or meat rub)
- 2 teaspoons table salt
- 500g extra thick full cream yoghurt
- A tin of tomato puree
- Combine all the ingredients in a jug. Place the lamb in an oven tray/dish and pour over the sauce.
- Cover with foil and roast at 160 ˚C for about 6 hours or until you are able to spear the centre easily with a spoon.
- Check on the sauce during cooking and add more water if necessary.
- Slice the lamb while on the bone and serve in the dish with the sauce.
COOK’s notes: if cooking 2 or 3 lambs in one dish, do not double the sauce.
For the Tahini sumac mayo:
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- 1 cup canola/sunflower oil
- ¼ cup or 60ml olive oil
- 1 ¼ cup of mixed oil (olive and seed)
- 1 ½ tablespoon mint sauce or mint jelly
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ½ teaspoon sumac
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Process the eggs and add the oil in a slow steady stream. Add remaining ingredients.
Refrigerate in an air-tight container for 2 days. Great on fish, gammon and roasted vegetables.
Serve with Rocket and wraps