I have made granola and granola bars almost every day for the past month for my upcoming Easter course and so while reading the latest addition of the Food and Home, I add all the ingredients required for this chocolate granola.
Fresh Earth, in my opinion makes the ultimate sugar free chocolate granola but for those not wanting to travel all the way to Emmarentia here is a low sugar alternative, which is rather unusual, decadent and makes a gorgeous Easter gift.
- 400g oats
- 115g brown sugar
- 60g hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- 55g desiccated coconut
- 30g sesame seeds
- 150ml vegetable oil
- 150ml water
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5ml Maldon salt
- 60ml cocoa powder
- 225g Belgian chocolate roughly chopped or Woolies chocolate nibs-add to taste
- Combine all ingredients except chocolate
- Place on a large baking tray on a non-stick mat and bake at 175 ˚C for 20 minutes
- Cool and mix in chocolate
COOK’S Notes: The granola is somewhat bitter before the addition of chocolate, especially when a good quality cocoa like NoMu or Dutch cocoa is used (try to avoid Nestle cocoa). I added only a handful of white chocolate nibs from Woolworths, as it’s sweeter than dark chocolate but I would guess that Lindt salted dark chocolate would be delicious in this granola.