Simple, hearty, fragrant and tasty. Who needs more from a meal in this weather?
Baked Chicken with tomato, olives and mascarpone
- 8 free range chicken pieces* See COOK’S notes
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 tin Italian chopped tomatoes
- 10 good quality olives, pitted and torn
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons NoMu chicken Fond
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ tub mascarpone
- 8 rashers bacon ( I leave this out because I do not eat pork, but it adds such flavour)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ½ cup chopped Italian parsley
- brown the chicken and then add to a casserole dish*
- add the onion and the garlic to the pan, then add the wine
- add the tomatoes, olives, vinegar, paste, oregano, basil, stock and sugar
- season and cook for about 2 minutes then pour over the chicken
- bake for about 45 minutes at 200 ˚C
- stir through the mascarpone
- pan fry the bacon and serve the dish with crispy bacon, and scattered lemon and parsley on top
COOK’S Notes: I used Woolworth’s 4 skinless thighs and drumsticks and 4 breasts with skin.
This is because my sister only eats the breast and keeping it on the bone with the skin (which she removes before eating) yields a more tender breast.
You can use thighs with skin, or the Woolworth’s skinless thighs and drumsticks. If you are opting for skinless, simply add the chicken to the sauce and then bake.