My husband is a very simple man when it comes to food.
All he desires when he returns from work is something to eat. He would happily settle for Bovril on toast and if I were to serve it (oh and believe me I have), he would eat it with a grateful smile and declare it the most delicious toast ever served.
He does not count calories, he does not notice leftovers and he does not comment on the white rice or lack of vegetables or salad.
He does not care that I rushin from the park at 5:30 PM, empty Gluwein flask in hand, he is incredibly happy at eating a hearty meal, only 15 minutes later.
Both my husband and this meal are just delightfully effortless and absolutely delicious for a Monday.
Monday’s 15 minute Cheat’s chicken (6)
- Olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 x400g mixed mushroom selection from Woolworths (already chopped)
- 1 whole ready-roasted free range chicken, flaked
- 1 tin chopped Italian tomatoes with garlic
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 60ml/ ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 60ml/ ¼ sherry or red wine
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 x 250ml tub low fat cream
- Parmesan & Fresh Thyme to serve
- Heat the oil and add the onions and garlic.
- Add the mushrooms and fry for about 10 minutes adding some extra butter to the pan if the mushrooms are too dry.
- Add the sherry, then the tomatoes, puree and vinegar and simmer while you flake the chicken into the sauce.
- Swirl through the cream and season to taste
I served this on Woolworth’s ready cooked white rice as it’s what my tactile 10 year old lives on and I returned home late to a starving husband. Serve it on couscous or mash, alongside a crispy green salad or toss it through pasta (with some extra pasta water) and easily serve 6-8