This delicious dish is a staple favourite in my home. It’s served a side, as a base for a Woolworth’s rotisserie chicken, for strips of fillet with added chilli or into a pasta.
It’s simple but the secret is the no-swap ingredients. It just does not taste the same without NoMu chicken stock, and Woolworth’s long life cream. A splosh of medium cream sherry takes this to new heights!
BASIL AND CREAM MUSHROOMS (4)
- 500g mixed brown mushrooms chopped/sliced (or Woolworth’s 400g mixed selection)
- 1x250ml Woolworth’s long life cream
- 2 teaspoons NoMu chicken fond/ stock
- 1 teaspoon Maldon salt
- ¼ cup chopped basil leaves (thyme leaves are also delicious)
- Heat a non-stick pan and add about 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Add the mushrooms and put a lid on or cover the pan with a plate
- Let the mushrooms steam for 2 minutes or more-just so that the pan produces a little steam and you don’t need to add more oil or butter.
- Remove the lid and continue to fry on a high heat
- When cooked to your liking add the stock, salt and the cream
- Add the basil and serve on toasted ciabatta.
COOK’s Notes: A splosh of medium cream sherry takes this to a new level. if you are making this in advance or the evening before, especially if doubling or tripling, it may need to be reduced or thickened with a bit of cornflour.
- 1x tub Woolies free range livers (rinsed in water)
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 1 teaspoon extra hot peri-peri sauce
- Add the brandy, livers and sauce to the heated cream and cook gently for a few minutes until the livers are just cooked through.
- Add a splash of water or milk if the sauce reduces too much.
- Add the basil and serve
COOK’s notes: You can blend the leftovers and chill in a pate dish for lunch the next day.